Wednesday, July 28, 2010

7/28/10 Thoughts on Slum Village!!!

















Its such a happy day/sad day in Hip Hop for me actually. One because its been a minute since we received a Slum Village album but now that we've got one, it is sad to hear that is their last one. Though it is their last and regardless if hypothetically speaking they didn't reach the level they wanted to, they have still made a serious imprint in the game!!! well at least in my opinion!!! there is awesome production here on "Villa Manifesto" from Khryis, J Dilla, Young RJ, Hi Tek. They even managed to put J Dilla vocals on the records and pretty much sounds like they all in the studio. To hear Baatin (fellow slum member who recently passed away) it is a breath of fresh air. I am pretty sure that it has been hard for the group with the loss of J Dilla and Baatin who were both instrumental on the growth as a group and as family but they are showing here how to keep on truckin'. As all good things do come to an end artist like these to me and others will never be forgotten.

They've honestly been a great, great and I mean great influence on my career musically and Asa's. Sometimes I honestly feel I have a Motown soul and that's no disrespect to my New York City roots. Its just that I have followed the Motown sound Hip Hop wise before I even knew it was from Detroit. I have a lot of respect for Detroit and feel that they are incredibly slept on but its the same reason they create music with intense hunger and always manage to elevate their sound!!! With that being said I hope and highly recommend that you go out and cop this and the rest of the albums to understand the history!!! I salute you Slum and wish the best on your solo careers!!! Love is Love!!!

No comments: