Monday, August 2, 2010

8/2 Breez Evahflowin-THE BATTLE RAPPER,THE EMCEE, THE LEGEND, THE MAN A MENTOR (TO ME)

http://www.trendsettin.com/?p=2565 

Wow...How should I even begin. Today's blog entry is about a man who embodies hip hop 100% and with pure skill alone went against tremendous odds within the indie scene and won. By saying "won" I don't mean he received a tall trophy or championship belt (though he deserves it). What I mean is with the successes combined with the upsets, at the latter point of his career he was able to recognize who he was and who he "is" today. This man is Enrique DeSilva also known to the world as Breez Evahflowin.

I remember the first time I saw Breez' live. It was in 98'  I was working at Macy's at the time and one of my best friends/producer "DJ Static" left a message on my beeper (yeah I said beeper lolol) saying that I need to come out to see him spin for Breez'  and so I did. It was such a liberating experience!!! What was crazy to me at the time was how I was already in the process of taking my craft seriously and Breez' was the first to critique my record recorded and gave it a bad critique. What he said about my record was true but I wasn't trying to hear that then lol.  I must've said a bunch of negative things about his flow and songs(of course didn't mean it) before meeting him just because of his opinion but all he was trying to do was set me on the path of greatness. After I met him I was floored with his showmanship and his ability to improvise which to me was magnificent. The only people I have seen in my life then that were able to do that were the older kids I grew up with in the projects but this was next level to me because it was on a stage with an audience. That is also when I was introduced to his super group "StrongHold" where each member represented a finger on the hand (brilliant concept).

After that I went to many shows, studio sessions or plain ol' hang out spots. Back then I was always a little quiet around people I was getting to know or didn't know. With that being said me and quiet received a chance to familiarize with the man behind the name and the man with the indie fame. He was all about the love but was also about his business as well. I learned the basics of commanding of a stage show performance to certain freestlyling tricks from him. I was never the battle rapper but even Breez' would tell you I had the makings of great performer. He also gave my boy "DJ Static" his first experience on the road where now DJ Static has been around the world and back. A crazy thing that was told to me about Breez' was his composition books of rhymes. It almost told a story. Breez was very much into drawing and could illustrate any visual like a comic you would see in the stands and has some of his work floating in certain comic books around the world. His composition books would consist of part rhyme, part drawing. When he would memorize his verses he would remember them quicker due to the picture on the pages. That is borderline genius and Psycho lol ...That's just begining...CHECK OUT the link to get an in depth look from the man himself!!! (I could go on but I know People love videos coming from the source itself lolol)

No comments: